Monday, January 30, 2012

First Treatment...et al.

  I feel compelled to write and share about exactly what my chemotherapy reigime is all about because it is such a "dark" secret no matter what websites I Google or to whom I speak regarding this area of cancer. It's not a purposeful "dark secret" but rather a "gotta be there to "get it""kinda secret. All experiences are different for each patient and the experiences I have read about or had gathered from conversations, speak of experiences happening later in treatments; not from the onset. This led me to the need to write down my take  on the matter while it is fresh on my mind. Please humor me in this as this may be one of very few "comical" takes on the treatment of cancer in relation to chemotherapy.
Picture this:
Scene 1: Doctor's office Patti and her precious daughter-in-law- Leslie - sitting in the doctor's office at M. D. Anderson. In walks a new face, a young lady named Cara who introduces herself as one of the representatives/support person, for me as a participant in the clincal trial. She is very personable, sweet, and compassionate....as are all I have met in this GIANT facility... Cara commences to ask questions... ALL kinds of questions. Upon her departure she informs me that as part of the chemo, I will be administered the following drugs:
1. 15 minutes of benadryl...to ward off any possible allergic reactions to the Taxol - (nighty night)
2. 15 minutes of steroids - to ward off infections in and around my medi-port.(Causes sleeplessness at night and a great increase in appetite..... like I really needed that right?? - Watch out Wendy's.)
3. 15 minutes of some drug that lines my stomach to protect it from the toxicity of the Taxol.
4. Wait 30 minutes....( I slept of course)
5. Taxol for 60 minutes.
All this is fed to me through the port in my chest. One needle stick in the port  feeds  the juices directly to my juglar vein in my neck. (Not as bad as it sounds.)

Oh..speaking of "fed"...did I mention Cara's departing words to me?? " The steroids will give you a ravenous appetite...EAT!!" I had to laugh out loud... I gained 30 pounds since last April and told her so. I said that appetite was NOT a problem. She seriously said, EAT. DO NOT LOSE WEIGHT.
Well, who am I to disobey and order like that?? Funny she told me that on the one day I had no appetite. The only reason I ate later was to avoid nausea from the treatment.


Scene 2: The infusion clinic- A literal beehive of activity and of "cells." I call them cells because, like a honeycomb...they are everywhere!!! If a prisoner has a cell like this, all I can say is LOCK ME UP!!! The "cell" is the size of about 1/2 of a regular hospital room. It has a comfortable hospital bed with all the bells and whistles....I know cause I pressed every button. Head up,head down, feet up, feet down, sometimes at the same time. :) A t.v. remote with...are you ready???? my choice of several newly released movies!!! Wow!!! In the waiting room I noticed that "regulars".... you can tell by the lack of hair...were eating before treatment. It occured to me that I hadn't eaten anything but a slice of bread early this morning. I asked the attending nurse if eating was a good thing to do before treatment. She replied with a resounding YES. I replied with a resounding OH! OH! No sooner was the OH OH out of my mouth that a young woman mysteriously appeared with a menu sporting a host of delictable items to choose from. Not wishing to appear "over eager", you know, my first time and all, I settled for a turkey and american cheese sandwich which arrived 10 minutes later on a huge roll, lettuce and tomato, chips, and a homenade lemon cookie...2 to be exact. The fresh fruit was the last to go...but go it did.  Heated blankets were layed over me. I remained fully clothed so was quite comfortable. Leslie was craving a milkshake like the one she had on Friday from Dyers ...which by the way is somewhere in M.D. Anderson. I wished her well, began my lunch, and took a deep sigh. Okay... I was dreading chemo...why??? Oh yea!! Cancer. They sure made it as doable as possible.
Scene 3 - The attending nurse came in, started the treatment and within 20 minutes I was in the Goodnight Louise state of mind only to awaken with about 45 minutes or so left of the treatment. I missed the entire movie that Leslie had opted to watch!! I have got to come up with a plan to stay awake long enough to catch a good movie. Needle was flushed...removed...bandaged..then I was patted on the behind and told, "See you next week." Simple as that. Oh. I almost forgot. My phone was dead. I didn't bring a charger thinking this would be a short day. Leslie asked one of the nurses if he happened to have a charger. He brought his, saw that if fit my phone, and let me charge my phone all through the treatment. How cool is that???
Scene 4 - 5:00 PM Downtown Houston Leslie is becoming an expert at 5:00 traffic in Houston. I'm impressed. People are so friendly...just waving and letting us cut in places. (I was told by some M.D. Anderson staff when I reported how considerate the Houston drivers were, that I needed to look close at the hands that were waving and be sure that they are actually "waving" the entire hand. I choose to just go on believing that they are in fact using all five digits when waving in appreciation for my courteous "thank you" wave. On our trip home I received a call from Barry informing methat he and all of the night crew was laid off due to lack of material to begin the job. Of course, he was disappointed but our faith does and will continue to prevail. If my having cancer has a purpose then by George, so will his employment situation. I can't believe He has a purpose in one thing and then doesn't in another can I?
Scene 5 - Home at last Part 1. When I was safely delivered to our home, I did my usual routine of checking the mail. A neighbor who doesn't ever approach me or Barry to talk, not out of rudeness, he is just a very private person, met me at the mailbox and asked how my visits with M.D. Anderson was going. (He lost his wife a few months ago to cancer.) I shared with him the fact that treatments have started and that I have what they consider a "high risk" cancer meaning that there is a high risk of reocurring elsewhere in my body. I told him that these are MAN"S words...not GOD"s. This statement was shared with me by a beautiful Christian woman when she gave me a quick embrace at church Sunday. What a statement to whisper in my ear. A God statement and I thank her with all my heart for allowing God to speak through her. I love you friend...you know who you are.
Scene 6- Home at last Part 2- When I entered our home, carting the mail with me in hand, I began to sort through it. There, among advertisements was an envelope containing the love offering in the form of a check from the EverRibbon website that Jeannie began for me and Barry in support of the extra expenses that would be incurred during this Passionate Path. If that wasn't enough to humble me, another envelope contained a receipt of deposit for reimbursement from my cancer policy for a few expenses. Wow!! All is HIS timing. I humbly gave and continue to give Him all the glory and all the praise for the provisions He has made through His children here on earth. Barry's and my deepest gratitude to you all.
Scene 7Bedroom - He led me to open my bible and He brought me to Pslam 71. I inserted Marilyn's name in all the pray-er's places and the word 'cancer" in all the evil spots. What a powerful prayer to pray for my sister Marilyn who by God's hands will be healed. I prayed at the same time the Elders from our Church was praying with Marilyn and her family at her home. Praise to You Father. Amen.

 In closing: (at last right?)A few side effects later, not to be mentioned here, are mild. Barry walking in the door, I fell in his arms for a warm embrace, comforting him in his time of confusion and anxiety about his job. We reaffirmed our belief that from all things God has good planned. All is a learning experience...an O.F.R.O.G.

Your most appreciative and grateful sister in Christ, in my "First Treatment, et.al.
God bless,.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a "real" account. I hope the side effects get less each day. I am praying and believing for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you Patti. May you feel His presence always as you continue this journey of faith. Thank you for your thoughts you are a blessing to the kingdom. God is good --- all the time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you and continue to pray for your strength. I hope you are having an appetite for something...I know they say EAT but it's easier said than done. Please get lots of REST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such an inspiration to us all, Patti. Thank you for sharing with us. You really bring up so many wonderful points...blessings that you encounter, in every situation. Thank you for reminding us to keep God in all that we experience!

    ReplyDelete