Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Path Before Me

My  messages to all of you in the future should not be this wordy. I just wanted to let you all know how this all began so please bear with me. I love you all and your prayers are answered minute by minute and day by day. THANK YOU!!!

  • Lying in bed, Sunday, December 18th, preparing to continue my study of Romans 8 with Alistair Begg, (No!!! He was not literally in bed with me!!!) I found myself shifting  over on my side to get a better view of the little DVD player I use to view the lessons. I felt a "twinge" in my right breast near the breast bone. I reached for the spot that hurt and felt a large hard knot. I had implants the year before so thought that perhaps something was askew. I laid on flat on my back, felt the area again, and knew that this wasn't the case. I had Barry, my husband, feel that spot to be sure it wasn't my imagnination. The look on his otherwise cautious face said it all. It was not a figment of my imagnination. Looking back to that evening I couldn't say for sure if I felt a panic or not. I did know that I wanted to call the doctor first thing Monday morning and see if I could get in to see him.
I was able to get in to see the Nurse Practioner Tuesday, December 20th - had an ultrasound that morning - was called in to see her that afternoon for the report that it was in fact a "mass" that was the size of a golf ball. (I had a mammogram the year before and it was clear.) This raised a flag for both Barry and I and we just kept thinking that it had to be related to the implants. We both knew different in our hearts because of the suddeness and where it was located.
Wed. - December 21 Barry and I were in a surgeon's office in Beaumont - Friday- December 23rd - I had a mammogram - and an ultrasound led biopsy of my right breast. Immediately after the tests, we were ushered to the film viewing room and was shown the "mass" and the spots they took the biopsy. I was told that they suspected foul play on my left breast as well. The radiologist told us that he suspected cancer in both breasts but definitely in the right breast. (By the way, that pink ribbon symbol represents a "marker" that they place on the tumor to let other doctors know that is where they retrieved the tissue samples.)
Monday, December 26th - The day after Christmas -  I was led to go to the M.D. Anderson website and begin the appointment making process.
 December 27th I received the call that altered many things in my life - I had Invasive Poorly Differentiated Ductal Carcinoma- the most common type of breast cancer.
December 29th - I had the biopsy of my left breast and was told that I had the Triple Negative cancer which is the most aggressive and the most difficult to treat. Barry and I were given the survial statistics and I remember looking at Barry then back at this radiologist and asking him if he just gave me a death sentence. The radiologist said that he just wanted me to know that this was a difficult cancer and more often than not, a reoccuring cancer.
December 30th - I saw an oncologist in Beaumont - was given the same diagnosis but was told that it can be treated successfully if the cancer is isolated and not spread.
January 4, 2012 - Barry left for an out of town job that will last 5 months. :(
January 5, 2012 - My first appointment at M.D. Anderson - tests are scheduled for the week of January 9-13th.

As it stands now: If I get accepted into the clinical trial (Insurance has to approve) I will be receiving chemotherapy 1 x a week for 3 months here in Houston (as an I. V.) along with taking an oral medicine that is normally used as the "last" chance effort. I will be receiving the "standard" treatment with an added medicine so either the new meds work or it doesn't but I will still be getting the same treatment as I would normally.
After the first phase of the treatment I'll begin the second phase which is 1 x every 3 weeks for 3 months. (Another I.V.)

Of course the side effects include what we all know: hair loss, nausea, fatigue,and others that I won't mention here.

I was fighting fatigue since March- April of 2011 and the doctor's linked it to the then undetected cancer. I am fighting the fatigue at this time. Other than that, I am doing well. I do a little, rest.... do a little...rest.

At another posting I will share the miracles that have been happening and how God has been leaving His fingerprints all over this situation. I am blessed to be able to stay here in Katy with my dearest friend Dolores who if any of you know me, know of her as she is a constant in my life and has been for 30 plus years.(Her husband David puts up with me.:) )

Thank you for your prayers and understanding. As Kenzie, a young girl at our church sent in an email today, "Miss Patti, when mom told me you had cancer I knew that it was okay because God is taking care of you and that you will be fine." She put into an email what God put on Barry's and my heart in the beginning. I am already healed.... I only have to walk the Path Before Me. I am not alone... I have Our Father God and all the saints that He has lined up along the way for me. What a glorious glorious day to praise the Lord.

17 comments:

  1. Praying for you...I love you doing the blog because it gives us all of the info and will keep us updated. IF you happen to have the side effect of losing the lining in your mouth (I had it) then let me know. Dr. Morris called me in a mouthwash that burned like the dickens but helped it heal faster than waiting on it too...I'm praying for your strength. April King :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patti! So glad you are using this Blog to journal. I remember sending out "Laurie's Love Letters" on each step of my journey. It helps you process, keep track, and helps keep everyone else informed :) Your campus will be such a great support team! They have been on this path with others and know that a positive attitude is a majority of the battle! Having your eyes, ears, and heart open during your adventure will be rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, clarification...is the cancer in the left breast also?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti with an i,
    Please know that Henry and I are lifting you up in prayer. Your bravery and faith are inspiring. On a lighter note, I sure did miss my burnt sausage yesterday! We did manage coffee and doughnuts though. Much love my friend!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey PattIII,
    It was so good to talk to you Sunday. David and I are praying for you. If I can do anything for you, please give me a call.
    Love you,
    PattYYYY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lady!
    Just want you to know that we're sending all manner of love, prayer and positive juju your direction! (With a healthy dose for Barry, too.)
    Love you!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patti with an I-
    Friend, Im SO glad that you are doing this (not the cancer, the blog!). You know that I love you and am sending up prayers minute by minute for you. I know that you are in good hands up there physically & ultimately we know spiritually. If there is anything we can do, PLEASE don't hesitate to ask. Ashley was sad that she wouldn't see you but was happy that Ms.Sue was taking your place. Love you friend - prayers are going up!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey sister,
    If anyone can kick cancer's butt, it's you! Let us help you! That's an order!!! Love you and Barry and we are praying, praying, praying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Patti! You are such a strong spirited lady and am amazed at you a proud of you for doing this blog. You can and will fight this ugly beast and send it packing! I i have faith in you and the Lord! If there is anything Chris and I can do..please do not be shy! Sending prayers prayers and more prayers to you and Barry.
    Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just knew "Patti Tech" would be quick to get a site up and running. I'm so pleased that you are going to keep us informed and allow us to be a part of your journey. Remember O FROG and that I love you and Barry. Ricky and I will continue to keep you and your family in prayer for peace, strength, and healing.
    God is so good all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patti,
    We will be here every step of the way as you fight like a girl and beat cancer! We love you and Barry and will be keeping you guys in prayer! Thanks for keeping us all in the loop! :)
    Jeannie and Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patti, I don't know you well but I know "OF" you. I know that you are a trooper and a strong woman. You have a passion that surpasses many. Your enthusiasm and love of life have gotten you to this point in life. I know that God has good things in store for you. He will keep you. Although His hands hold the universe, they hold you there close to His heart. I can't wait to hear the reports!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patti, just another part of your LCI family checking in. We are praying for you and lifting up your name to our Father. You are such a blessing to us.
    Kara ( the other one), Michelle, Karan and Mike Olson

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just a note to let you know that all your hard work this year is paying off! Your kids are awesome! So well behaved and such hard workers! They ask about you every day and want to know when you will be back. I've told them you are doing your best to be back soon:)
    I'm praying for you and trusting God with your care. Scripture says 'He contends with that which contends with us!' He's in charge.
    Love you, Girlie!
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Patti,

    Thank you for your everlasting faith and positive outlook on life and thank you for sharing your updates with us. We have a prayer chain here at First Presbyterian Church El Paso and we will definitely keep you in our thoughts and prayers. You are not alone in this journey. We are thinking of you. ~Brooks and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Patti:
    Thank you for taking the time to chronicle the last few months of discovery and the treatment plan for your breast cancer. I trust that you will receive excellent care at MD Anderson and in spite of the adverse side effects of chemo, will overcome the cancer and get better. You will be lifted up in prayers each day as well as for those attending to your care. Look forward to your future postings. Big hug!! Gina Schrader

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for keeping us posted. I love you and will be praying that everything goes well tomorrow. I bought me a new "Fight Like A Girl" shirt and will be wearing it tomorrow for you. When will you be back home?

    ReplyDelete