Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Strange Place to Find Peace

  Entering M.D. Anderson at 6:00 AM this morning was one of the most peaceful times I had since this Passionate Path began. I know people are praying for me but I don't know the "particulars" of those prayers. When I shared a part of my story below with a couple of dear friends one replied that she and others were praying for my peace on arriving at the clinic today. That explained that!!! Thank You Father!!
   The garage where I park, is very well lit and open. I have never felt any apprehension entering or exiting my vehicle even when I was the only one there. I exit elevator P-2 stepping into a "skywalk" that leads to several different medical facilities; one being the Mays Cancer Clinic where I spend 90% of my time with appointments. Arriving so early I have the place almost entirely to myself for about 30 minutes. A security guard passes me and smiles a beautiful smile as he says good morning to me. As I approach elevator U, my elevator of choice this morning, I pass a couple of other people. That is when the thought hit me of how peaceful it was there. A comfort like I have never known washed over me with the realization that this is where I belong... where He wants me. How many people can say "I know where God wants me to be?"  What a blessing.
    A woman with a missing leg due to cancer left her husband  trailing behind her as she moved herself with her remaining leg around a breakfast buffet, two women, both hairless from chemo, laughing about their attempts to tie a scarf around the other's head ,another woman, sitting near them smiling at their antics, a husband sleeping in a recliner while his wife "people watched", patients coming into the waiting area where I was sitting making themselves right at home as if it were their home, a young man sitting nervously awaiting what must have been his "first" day appointments,  all seemed normal and calming to me. I belonged here!!! This is where HE placed me. Since HE placed me here, it confirmed the truth that HE has a purpose. I did not stand out as a cancer patient. We are ALL cancer patients and WE are all there with the hope of survival. I found a sisterhood and a brotherhood that has a strong foundation in faith. What an opportunity for Spiritual growth!!! Thank You Father for the blessing of cancer!! Only You could turn this into grace. I love You!
  After my final test, I went to the hospitality room for a cup of decaf coffee. I later realized I stopped there because I was not ready to leave this peace and comfort that surrounded me.There were two men there clowning around. I could tell they were friends. I was brought into the conversation and of course had some smart remarks to make about the topic they were discussing. When I reached for a cup, one of the men stopped me and said that it was his job to serve everyone who walked through that door. I was taken aback, smiled, and said, "Well, get to it." LOL I noticed that both were clad in a light blue blazer but didn't think anything of it. The elderly man that started the joking asked if I was the patient or a family member. I told him that I was a patient and that my treatments were to begin tomorrow. He and the other younger man both formally welcomed me and said,"We are here for you, having been through it ourselves." They then informed me that they were volunteers and that the only way they could wear the "blue blazers" were if they were current or former cancer patients. I was wowed to say the least. One of these gentlemen was from the Jewish council and was visiting patients in a pastoral mode. He is HILARIOUS!!! He has my sense of humor!! My great grandfather was a Jewish Rabbi and this gentleman was well versed in the history of Jewish "tribes" that hailed from the area where my late relative resided. We three sat and talked about all types of things as if we had known each other all our lives. Not once did cancer even enter my mind or the conversation. Finally I had to leave. I hugged both of them and told them I would see them again. There is no doubt in my mind that regardless of the hundreds of people they greet each day, that when we meet next time, we will start off right where we left off!!! God has put such a deep love for every single person I meet, staff and patients included, at this facility. I know that this comes from answered prayers because only God's grace, mercy, and love produce something so beautiful and magnificent out of something so vile like cancer. Thank you all for your unfailing faithful prayers. He loves the conversations He is having with each of you.
  This afternoon I am to call the clinic between the hours of 5 and 7 to get the time of my medi-port surgery. Today the nurses explained the procedure and told me the name of the surgeon, Dr. Brown, who has done well over 5,000 of the types of port they will place in my chest. This will cut down on the number of needle sticks I'll receive each week. I'm all for that!!! Following the surgery there will be a 3 day rest period of not lifting anything over 20 pounds or moving around too much. I will take this time to relax and read.
  Again, thank you all for your support and love. God is with each of us and is showing His face to me several times a day.
Tommorrow will be my first treatment. I am ready to begin in what seems like a "Strange Place to Find Peace."

2 comments:

  1. We give God the Glory! Thank You for Your Sweet Peace, Father. Thank You!

    Love you, Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are keeping you in our hearts and prayers. What a powerful testimony you are. Thank you for blessing us Mrs. Patti.

    ReplyDelete