Saturday, January 28, 2012

Post Medi-Port Implant

Barry came home this weekend as scheduled. It is so nice having him here especially in the evenings. We are thinking that he will be able to come home for the next couple of weekends at least. That knowledge brings a smile to my face. I wonder if he will be home when my hair loosens and begins to fall. I'll have to ask him before he leaves Sunday whether or not he wants to be here when I have a head shaving party. As unappetizing as it sounds, I still want to at least offer him to be a part of as much as this Path as possible. Guess what!!!!??? Thanks to a friend from my MMT class, I now have SKYPE!! Not only do I have it, I used it to Skype with my daughter and  family this morning. How cool is that??? I'm hoping to use this form of communication to allow her and my grandkids to share the metamorphis that I will undergo with chemotherapy. That way no one will be shocked when visiting in person. Holly, my daughter, has taken up crochetting. (spelling?) She will attempt to make me a hat. I was telling a friend that since Holly is a beginner I may be wearing a hat as a sweater. LOL I like the idea of having something so personal against my scalp. Also, a friend of mine from S. Carolina who sews is making me some head scarves. What a neat idea!! I've shared with you before that I bought some hats. I like them but am so excited about having something made for me with love from friends and family.
 The medi-port surgery Thursday went well. I am a bit sore but nothing unbearable. I really took the doctor's advice and rested..totally rested. I took a short trip today and decided it was a bit too soon. I'll lay low tomorrow after church. I am so thankful for my daughter-in-law and her willingness to drag me to my treatments beginning Monday. She has been through this with her mother and is well versed in how to prepare for the day. She is excellent company and a joy to be around. She looks at this ministry as an opportunity to do God's work. What a blessing it is to nurture a relationship with Leslie. Just one more good thing to come out of this cancer. Thank you Father.
  I now have a "lump" of a different sort under my skin on my chest. It feels quite odd and not as threatening as the tumor. The tumor is painful and noticeable. Because of the size, M.D. Anderson's professional opinion is to do the chemotherapy first, see if we can shrink the tumor, then do the surgery with radiation. I was told that although the first 3 months of chemo will be rough, the last 3 months' cocktail will be expodentially worse in side effects. (Sometimes I wonder if it would be best for them to keep that kind of information to themselves until the patient actually experiences the side-effects??) Knowledge is power right? If God is with us, who can stand against us?
   My little frog friend given to me by a special group of teachers on my campus, now has a name. His name is Barnaby. This name, in Hebrew, translates to "comfort." I thought how fitting!! I found myself talking to this cute little guy while riding with Barry today as he completed some errands. Barnaby came in handy for supporting my left arm, the side the medi-port was placed. (They placed the port on the opposite side of the side with the tumor.) I will include a picture of him in my truck.
   Monday will find me once again in Houston where I feel right at home. I will report to a section that specializes putting the invusion needle into my port then I will report to the area in the clinic that administers the chemo. I pray that the first treatment allows me to return to work on Tuesday to finish out the week.
   A very dear friend of mine and a spiritual mentor to me was diagnosed with liver cancer this past week. I find myself wrapped up in prayer and meditation for her and once again in the realization of  just how devastating cancer can be to our lives and the lives of all around us. Families are brought to places that seem to be hopeless. They struggle to find something.. anything to do to make us better. All control that we thought we had, is taken away from all involved. Without our dependance on God I don't know what we would do..where would we go? Knowing that we don't have all the answers to the whys and hows but God does, somehow makes the journey a little easier. If I thought for a moment that this cancer was a result of something I did or didn't do in the sight of God, then that would mean I could buy God's favor which strongly goes against His word. He GAVE me His Grace through His Son Jesus Christ. Through Jesus I am redeemed. If I don't believe that, then I am telling God that I think He is a liar. Aint happening on my shift... I guarantee. My prayers tonight are for my dear friend for complete and utter healing by the hands of our great Father. She is a faithful servant and I have no doubt that He is pleased with her. He is holding her in His hand. I love You Father..Abba. Amen
  Oh... I just got a Skype invitation from Holly. All the kids were there and I was able to model my hats. What fun. Thank You God for all I have in my life and the knowledge that all is Yours. Thank You for the people You have strategically placed in my Path who do Your will. Goodnight Abba, Goodnight King.. Goodnight Almighty God who lives in all of us. Amen. Alleluia Amen

1 comment: