Thursday, January 26, 2012

Delay in Treatment

It was a crazy day in cancerland today, yet, peace was abound in me. My daughter in law, Leslie, arrived at 3:15 AM and we hit the road to M. D. Anderson. 5:30 AM, we are sitting in a waiting area. The surgery putting the port in my chest, went extremely well. Both Leslie and I fell in love with Dr. Brown, the surgeon. (He warned me that he played Frank Sinatra music while in surgery.) I was awake for the beginning of the surgery just long enough to say "ouch" three times. That's all I remember except for the tune, "Unforgettable" that was playing during the procedure. We arrived home at around 8:30 PM. I am quite sore where they made the incision but other than that, I'm good. I am hoping to get a full night's sleep tonight.
   I was told. at the end of the day, that the test results needed to determine which arm of the clinical trial I would be on, did not arrive as expected. My first chemotherapy, with Taxol, will be either this Monday or next Thursday. Of course my first reaction was that I wanted to start treating this growth that is in my chest immediately. Then, while talking with Barry on the phone, He put it on my heart that He has a purpose. I am looking forward to what I will witness in the days before I begin treatment. I already met one lady due to the delay in my treatment. She told me that she was treated with Taxol, the same amount of time that I am scheduled to receive it and guess what??? She did NOT lose her hair. The hair loss came in the final 3 months in the much more toxic part of the chemo. Had it not been for the delay, I would not have still been in the waiting room and would not have struck up a conversation with this woman. What a blessing it was to meet her. A faithful servant of God.
   I found the same peaceful atmosphere at my home away from home that I alluded to in my last posting. He is found all over that place.
Love to all through Christ
Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment