Sunday, January 22, 2012

God's Plans

  My first day back with the faculty since my adventures at M.D. Anderson occured today. I felt an uncertainty wash over me as my vehicle ate up the distance between my house and school. Unable to put this feeling into words that would give me clarity as to why I was feeling this way, I gave it to God. (Yes, I still hold on to things a bit longer than necessary before turning them over to Him, who waits patiently for my gifts.) How much love does He have for me that he actually looks upon my burdens as gifts to Him. When I let go of concerns/burdens, He sees this as an exercise in faith....and boy does that please my Father. This reminds me of the words to a song that I love: "How many Kings step down from their throne? How many Lords have abandoned their homes? How many Fathers give up their Sons for me? Only one did that for me..."     In God's hands I turned into the school parking lot and made my way to my classroom. We were to all meet at 8:00AM to get instructions for the day's activities. When I entered my classroom I found a huge package on my desk. I was like a little kid when I tore into it. There layed a beautiful mauve robe that is as soft as my Scabbers belly. Along with the robe were nice comfortable slippers. Two of my special teacher friends presented me with this wonderful ensemble and I smiled from ear to ear. (Apprension was easing a bit. I felt I was at home.)
    My principal began the "meeting" with a brief heartfelt opening statement expressing the love and prayers that were being offered for me daily. Then she handed me a gift card, generously funded by my fellow brothers and sisters on campus to help with expenses that come with my Passionate Path walk. A blanket was made for me with each knot tied representing someone at school tying and praying for my healing. The blanket is covered with butterflies which a dear friend reminded me represented angels from a book she had read. The blanket, unbeknownst to Kelly who purchased the material, is  made up of my favorite colors - green and purple. The cards I received for my birthday and encouragement had me speechless.  My principal then made the announcement that everyone on our campus offered up a personal day to drive me to my treatments if needed. Although I still hold firm to not wishing to share the physical changes I am facing with my friends, the thought that they would  consider giving up their hard earned days to do that for me makes me breathless. Then 4th grade sisters presented me with a Care Package that I didn't get to "play" in  until late this evening. Everything in there will be used during my treatments. The hugs, the personal testimonies, the special gift from a friend who felt it in her heart to part with something that she had held on to for several years with the thught that it will be a comfort to me. She was right. The fear of facing everyone knowing that I have cancer would have had me miss the witnessing of such a caring group of people. When I asked the question of "How can I ever thank you enough?" I was greeted with the response.."Just get well."
With God's hands all over this... failure is not an option. I love you all
Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment