Monday, February 6, 2012

Two Down.... Ten to Go... All is Good

 First things first... All praises and glory to God our Almighty Father for the miracles He is working in our dear sister Marilyn Crims life. He is leaving His fingerprints on her cancer just as he is leaving them on mine. And for the work He is doing in mine and Laurah Rodger's lives. Healing is abound. What an Amazing, Wonderful, Loving Father we serve. Amen. Amen. Thank You Father...Thank You

   What a wonderful way to end a day of chemotherapy. Getting such wonderful news on Marilyn!!! Today was our 2nd treatment and went without a hitch. I say our because I've come to realize Barry as well as mom and too many more to mention are walking with me down this path. Our "Monday Spa and Date Day with Barry" as a friend named it, was Barry's first time at M.D. Anderson. We did what all men "hate to do" and that is talk about his feelings. LOL. He was very candid and wanted to share his take on the clinic. He commented on how the outside of the cancer center/hospital appeared to be so cold...a metal and glass building that looked like any other building downtown. The minute he walked inside, he noticed the warmth and welcoming atmosphere that permeated within the walls. As a matter of fact, I struck up a conversation with a woman in the parking elevator and we laughed. He relaxed a little at that point.  As large a facility as this, we ran into her two more times and offered each other well wishes and blessings from God.   
  When asked about the many many people he saw there, both men and women, he said he was surprised at the numbers of those stricken with cancer and at the noticable different stages of  the cancers. He told me how he was moved by my compassion for a lady sitting behind us. The incident slipped my mind..though not my heart. What he was referring to was the fact that there was a  sad woman sitting behind us at our first stop in the appointment chain. This is in the diagnostic center for blood drawing, EKG, X-Rays...etc. It is always the most crowded place in the clinic.  I overheard the stress in her voice as she ended a phone call. Then I heard her quietly sobbing. God led me to reach into my Pink Mee Maw bag that accompanies me on every M.D. Anderson trip and pull out a handmade, wooden handheld cross with a prayer card attached. (Made for me by a lovely woman at LCI to hand out at the clinic or wherever He moved me to share the faith of Christ.)I turned and rubbing the woman's back, handed it to her without a word. She had such a sad look in her eyes...the look I remember so well. She saw understanding and love in my eyes. I could tell by the way the sadness in her eyes turned into gratitude. I don't know if this was her first "real" appointment or if she was at the same stage as me. I don't know if she was dealing with breast cancer or some other cancer. I don't even know for sure if it was her cancer she was dealing with or that of a loved one. None of that even crossed my mind. All I know is that He showed me that she was in pain and needed the kind comfort that only He can bring. The kind that He provides for me continously.  I turned back away from her to give her privacy all the while rubbing her shoulder lightly and praying to God for her peace and comfort and her faith. When I completed the soft prayer, I heard her open the baggie that held the cross. I patted her back and removed my hand. When she finished reading the prayer, her sobbing had stopped. I turned and smiled and as she smiled back she showed me how she held the cross in her hand between her fingers just as it was designed to be held. What a O. F.R.O.G moment. As a few seconds went by, I heard her sniffing as if trying to stop her nose from running. I felt her using her sweater sleeve to wipe away her tears. Since I am an old pro now, I knew where to get kleenix. I brought her a couple of sheets. When I handed it to her I didn't see the heartbreaking sadness in her eyes. He had done what He promised to do. He comforted her. Praise to Him for His magnificence. Thank You Father. Thank You for your steadfast love of us. Amen.
  Back to Barry's first day at cancer camp today. He also shared that he noticed how everyone there was somber....all were aware of the fight ahead...and all were there with hope. Like me, he saw this in the large spread of stages people are in with cancer. Some you can tell have been fighting this battle for awhile as indicated by their physical bodies. (Or they have a very aggressive cancer..) Others are like the sweet woman behind me, just beginning to deal with the emotional pain of realizing life is not always 70 years long. I too noticed more somber faces today than usual. Not depressingly somber but more like what Barry called 'Acceptance" faces knowing they have to walk the walk to healing.
   Having Barry there was good but I realized that although comforting, God has equiped me with all I need to face these treatments without him there holding my hand. God has filled that void as He has promised. God knows my heart. Had Barry not ever accompanied me I may have never fully realized just how fully God filled that void. Is He not AWESOME in putting His plans to work??
   The treatment went well. One difference... I slept all but 15 minutes of the treatment!!!! I mean SLEPT solid. When I awoke, it was 10-15 minutes left to the entire 2 hour 15 minute treatment. Not only that; I fell asleep the minute we hit 610 and woke up when we pulled up into our driveway. Barnaby my Frog and my prayer blanket. both from my LCI family, enveloped me in such comfort and peace that sleep was inevitable. No dreams...no restlessness. Just a sound and peaceful sleep. More evidence of prayers being answered on my behalf. Thank you all..from the bottom of my heart... thank you.
   Side effects? Last week I was having severe side effects that I will not mention here. Tonight... not a one!! I had a twinge of muscle pain in my back that I felt this past week and took a mild pain pill. That was 8 hours ago. Not a twinge. Thank You Father for listening to Your children talk with You and accepting their prayers and answering their prayers for relief of pain and healing. I know that You are working in shrinking the tumor. I can feel it. I love You so much God and thank You for the healing blood of Jesus Christ, who loves us as You do. Amen. Amen.
    Again, thank you for your prayers and faithful friendship through this God Season we are walking through. Thank you for the prayers for Barry. He has the words to give me when I falter. God is using Him in a mighty way.
    We ask for continued prayers for Laurah Rodgers... for complete healing and relief of pain and for regaining her strength as she works through her rehab schedule. Also, for Marilyn Crim who is bringing testimony for God's power and might to us all. That He heals the sores in her mouth and throat caused by the extensive chemo and heal them immediately so that she can nourish her body for complete health. We ask this for these ladies and all others that are battling diseases that strive to take away all dignity. We know in You Father, we have dignity. We are Your children. How more dignified can we be?
We also ask a special blessing to fall over all those in prayer with you God. That You keep their conviction to you alive Father..continuing to awaken their Spirit. We pray that their relationship with You gets stronger each day as they walk through the days that You have given us. We thank You Father and look with anticipation for Great things in these childrens' lives. Amen. Alleulia!! Amen
Loving you all as Christ loves others,
Patti

2 comments:

  1. Such testimony to God's faithfulness! I am so grateful that this treatment went so much smoother afterwards. Praying....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! God is USING you Patti while there at MD Anderson. I love this blog and I'm praying for you and Barry.

    ReplyDelete